Monday, February 13, 2012

Hawaii Day 4- The North Shore

We slept in some and then checked out of our hotel in Waikiki and headed up to the North Shore.  The waves are huge this time of year and as our guide book says, "Needless to say you don't want to get anywhere near the water during big winter surf.  You'll die... period... no kidding!" 
The drive was beautiful and the waves were amazing.  We picked up some of Ted's Chocolate Haupia Pie (thanks again to Jaime for the tip) and brought it over to Sunset Beach for a picnic.  I ate the pie first and it was so good.  I mean really good.  I'm going to try and recreate it when I get home.  If I come up with a good recipe I'll post it.  But anyways, we stopped at Sunset Beach and there happened to be a surf competition underway. Perfect timing.  We sat and watched the World Stand Up Paddle Board Competition while eating out delish-to-the-pish Haupia pie.  So fun!
 Sunset Beach
 We then headed over to Bonzai Pipeline and watched more surfers trying to catch the perfect wave.  
 This is about as close as Mike will ever get to surfing the North Shore.
 We only had a little time left before having to catch our next flight to Maui so we didn't get to hike Waimea Falls but did snap a picture at the huge tree in Waimea Valley.  The rest of the day was spent flying to Maui, picking up a few groceries and getting settled in our new hotel- The Makena Beach and Golf Resort.  We were pretty hungry and ended up at a Tommy Bahama restaurant for an incredibly romantic dinner on a patio with a Hawaiian guy playing the guitar and softly singing popular songs.  What a day!

3 comments:

The Prigmore Family said...

Ahhhh! Tears! Seriously. So glad you liked the pie. Told ya ;) The north shore is magical huh?

Unknown said...

MMM pie on the beach! can't beat that!

Natalie and Jeff said...

This trip sounds amazing!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...