Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It was a good run...










Lightning & Charles




Wednesday I finally lost a battle that I have been fighting for the last 5 years. Three of our most prized fish, Lightning, Dottie, and Charles, all succumbed to ich (a fish disease) within a 6 hour period. It was less than two months after two of our other fish and our starfish died within days of each other (salt shock). Now all that remains are Spike (a blue damsel) and Miss Molly (a clownfish). Ironically, these where the first two fish we put in the tank! Through all the ups and downs those two have outlived all the other creatures (close to 20!) we have cared for and tried to keep alive. I have officially decided not to put any more fish in the tank. When Spike and Miss Molly die, I will drain it.

These fish were more than just showpieces and conversation starters to me. And while it may seem silly to some they were my pets and I truly cared for them. Their loss (and the realization that I am unable to care for them properly) has left me with a hole inside. I know things will eventually return to normal but I hope that by making this post it will get it off my chest and speed the healing process (the hardest part was posting the pictures).

Over the years the tank has been a source enormous satisfaction and frustration for me. I remember the day we thought our hermit crab was dead only to discover that every so often they molt and leave there old skin on the bottom of the tank. I also remember the miraculous recovery of our yellow tang from fin rot and blindness (he lived for another 3 1/2 years!) . And then there was the time I nearly electrocuted myself when the light hood fell into the tank.

There are countless other memories that stick out in my mind but I won't bore you with the details. The bottom line is that trying to keep this ecosystem in balance has been very difficult. It has given me an overwhelming appreciation for our Creator's abilities to do on a grand scale what I can't even seem to do on the smallest of scales.

This "battle" I referred to earlier is one I have always felt like I was slowly losing. There was glimmers of hope over the years (like when by homemade denitrator starting working) but overall I was never able to find an approach that worked with the amount of time and money I was willing to invest.

Once I drain the tank I am left with a difficult choice. I can either rebuild the tank using better equipment (filters, skimmers, etc) and methods (use of live rock, DI water) so that my low maintenance approach will work, or I can cover up the front of the tank with sheet rock and a fresh coat of paint (it is built into the wall). I don't know which way I will go at this point but I hope time will provide some clarity.

-Mike














Dottie & Miss Molly












Our Tank

5 comments:

Niki said...

I know it's sad. You should definitely build it back up. It is a cool feature for the house so spend what you need and make it great:)

Jeff & Melissa said...

I agree with Niki, the tank is so beautiful...build it back again. My friend at work had a huge tank with live coral, etc. and he was always telling us how expensive it was, but they are always so great to see.

Pete said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D said...

Sorry for the loss Mike. I understand your pain. When Dorothy died the girls cried and cried. They wrote the most tender letters to the fish then taped them to the tank... so my suggestion is print off your blog tribute to them and tape it to the tank :) !!!

Janis said...

It was sad to be there and witness the loss of your fish. I know you have spent a lot of time and effort with this hobby studying it out and doing the best you could. There are unfortunately, sometimes losses and disapointments in that learning process and sometimes things we can't even control. I vote to rebuild! Its a beautiful tank!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...