I cried.
Then she cried for making me cry. Then I explained all the things that I do for our family and the things that I enjoy doing. Just because I have low energy (I always have) and need a nap in the afternoon it made me sad that that's how my kids envision me- just sleeping. I guess she overlooked all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, chauffeuring, trip and outing planning, birthday parties, hugs, reading, and everything else I do for her. We cuddled for a few minutes and I could tell she genuinely felt bad and didn't mean to hurt my feelings. She is the one always making sure others are happy and she doesn't see me cry very often. After a few minutes we packed up and headed to the zoo since we had already planned the outing for the day. Such is life I suppose, but I have to admit I'm feeling very under appreciated.
In front of the giraffes
We always take a picture on these giraffe statues.
Having lunch
In front of the sea horse aquarium
Camille by the flamingos

6 comments:
Niki, I know how you feel! I think as mothers we tend to get overlooked since we're constantly doing things for our family instead of ourselves. One thing I thought of when I read this is she wrote nothing for your favorite thing to do (not necessarily things you do all the time). It's a great excuse to take some time for just you! Go do something you love, by yourself, and enjoy it! :) Miss you!
-Melissa
I look up to you SO MUCH as a mom! To me you are super-woman...I don't even know where you find the time and energy to do all the fun creative activities and outings with the kids and still get all the laundry, cooking, and cleaning done. Even if the kids don't appreciate everything you do- know that I am impressed from afar!!
Oh Sweet daughter my eyes teared up reading this! You are an awesome wife and mother. I admire all of the service you render for not only your family but also for extended family, neighbors, friends, volunteering at school, church callings...YOU DO A LOT!! All moms spill a few tears for things their children say. Their perceptions aren't always accurate.Matt said something similar at that age about Dad. He had a long list of things I do but all he could think of for dad was, "he goes to work and church." As a young 5 year old all he knew was his dad was gone a lot at work (struggling to support such a large family), and at church a lot (as Elder's quorum president helping many needy families!)Anna knows you are a wonderful mom. I love you!!!
Nothing, now i understand your comment on my blog post!!! we both were sad. glad we could cheer each other up. love you!!!
Unfortunately, Niki, mommy hood is often a thankless job. On the brighter side after reading your post I seriously think Anna was writing about what she thinks each person's favorite thing is to do,(in their free time) not that each person does those things all the time. I say take it as a compliment, I think she is way more perceptive to all that you do and knows how much time and effort you are putting into raising all the munchkins. So she realizes that your favorite thing to do is to just have a break and do "nothing" (sleep, etc) and who wouldn't want a break, that's my favorite thing too :). Because she knows you do so much all the time. I like that saying that goes something like "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” For me this sums it up. I struggle with thoughts and feelings of insecurity all the time. Especially since most of my energy goes toward school now, I wonder sometimes if I'm doing the right thing too. But, in the end I know the only way to provide my children with all that I want for them is if I do this now. And I've done almost everything in my life the opposite or hard way so why stop now (lol). Everybody, has different challenges in life, that's what makes us all unique. I think you do a great job with your kiddos and there is nothing wrong with taking time for yourself each day getting a break and getting in a nap. I've grown accustomed to daddy being the favorite. Maybe when they are babies mommies are the favorite, but when they get older daddies are just so much more fun. I'm all work and little play and he's all about play so why wouldn't they prefer him over me. In the end if they don't already realize it, they'll know how much you did for them, especially when they become parents themselves. Nothing says perspective like a hard slap in the face of reality. I know I'm especially more grateful now for all that mom and dad did and still do for me. And I still don't say it or show it enough. As your big sister maybe it's about time I finally say some words of encouragement. Since I'm such a private person I often find it hard to do these things in person or even over the phone. You are a wonderful mother and an awesome aunt and despite what you may be feeling I think motherhood is one of your strengths. You are ten times better at it than me and maybe i'll admit that I'm actually a little jealous of you. I think being a mom was something you were born to do. You are naturally good at it. I however am defiantly not. I'm not saying I wasn't meant to be a mom, I truly believe that each one of my children was sent to me personally so that I can learn from them and them hopefully from me. Same with your babes and you, but for me the very fact that I almost die with every pregnancy proves that motherhood was meant to be one of my trials and weaknesses in life, but it's not yours. It's your strength and one of the, I think natural talents God gave you. Don't you remember when we were little, playing "house" even though I was older you always wanted to be the "mom" and I was always the "baby." That speaks volumes to me now, you knew it even when you were that little. You are an example to us all. I love you and hope you are doing much better.
With all my love,
your sister,
Lori
Post a Comment