Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Double Red Envelopes

Clearly Valentines has come and gone but I thought I should at least make mention of it as well as Chinese New Year that happened to fall on the same day. My Dad served his mission in Taiwan and sure enough the Saturday before Valentines and Chinese New Year the famous red envelopes arrived in the mail. Although this year there were double red envelopes! The kids were so excited to open their Valentine cards and especially excited when they saw that there were Chinese red envelope inside. Gong Xi Fa Cai! Hong Bao Na Lei!

Mike of course treated me well with breakfast in bed, flowers, and a new bluetooth wireless mouse for my laptop. The kids both made me treasure maps to find the cut out heart Valentines they made with many x's and o's on it. How did I get so lucky?














The week before Valentines I taught a class for the women in my church on how to make chocolate truffles. My very talented mother-in-law taught me how several years ago after I paid $4.00 for one at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. It was good but not $4.00 good and personally I think mine are better. Anyways, the class went well but since I made truffles ahead of time and some during the class for the demo, and since you have to try different kinds, I ended up making truffles several times over the last two weeks. I just couldn't bring myself to toss those soft chocolaty centers so I rolled and dipped, rolled and dipped nearly 400 times! Of course neighbors, friends, teachers, home and visiting teachers, and all the women in the Relief Society (I brought some in individual boxes on Valentines when I had to teach the lesson) appreciated my work but I must say I'm a bit truffled out.

An interesting side note is that one of the teachers at school called me and asked if I do this for weddings since her daughter is getting married in the spring. I declined but did pass on the recipe complete with a plate of them just for her.














I found a fun new do on my friend Marian's blog and I tried it on Anna's hair for Valentines Day. It was quite easy and very festive. Thanks Marian!

5 comments:

Natalie and Jeff said...

one of my kids at work had their hair like that for valentines day! It was so cute! Looks better on Anna though! :)

Jeff & Melissa said...

So cute!

Jessica 7 said...

Holy truffles!! Cool that you were offered a wedding gig. Anna's hair looks awesome!

marian said...

Your truffles are Beautiful! FYI - I got heart hear from a blog called princesshairstyles or something like that - it's a fun brouse.

Elizabeth said...

You are insanely festive:) Mine comes and goes:) I cannot believe how many truffles you made and am impressed that your pants are still loose-ish:) I am so happy to see signs of spring, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...