
Here are 10 memories of my Grandma Harris that I want to always remember.
10. She was a very hard worker. When she would visit our house in Orange and later in Poway she would always come with a project in mind- some new idea to help my mom with young kids, to improve the house, or get organized.
9. It's ok to take a nap. For those of you that know me you know I love taking naps. (Lately I get far less naps than I'd like, but I do greatly enjoy them when I can.) This trait has been passed on for generations. Grandma had perfected the power nap.
8. This one may sound a bit weird but both of us loved getting foot rubs. We would sit opposite each other on the couch with a bottle of lotion and rub each others feet. For some reason this is a vivid memory for me and makes me smile. (I'm sure Jaime P. thinks I'm insane right about now:)
7. I don't think I could ever forget this one, but just in case I had to include Grandma's laugh. Her laugh was the type that when she laughed it made you laughed even more. It sounded something like AHOO HOO.
6. Grandma was a true southern Belle, born and raised on a farm in Mississippi. Her accent was contagious and even though we grew up in California we still slip into our southern drawls when the family gets together. She also made sure she always looked her best- her nails and hair were always done and even after she lost her sight she would get help putting on her lipstick and straightening her clothing.
5. Grandma loved being in the kitchen and helped me develop a love for cooking with her tasty southern style cooking. Pork chops and gravy, biscuits, beef stroganoff, garlic bread, and her chocolate pudding were all favorites of mine.
4. I also learned how to iron from Grandma at a pretty young age. She would pay us 50 cents a shirt to iron my dad's shirts. Later she upped the amount to $1. She was always encouraging us to work and save money. She even set up bank accounts for each of us and would match our investments to encourage us to save.
3. In her later years Grandma went through many physical trials but taught me the meaning of "endure it well". She never complained even though at times she was in great pain.
2. One of my favorite memories of Grandma were our sleep overs. Grandma & Grandpa would have us over to their house for sleep overs. They bought us our own travel bags (or as Grandma called them "Train Cases") and sleeping bags that we would pack and bring to their house. Later they even converted a bedroom into the kids room- complete with a bunk bed, futon, dressers, and toys for us. They would take us to a favorite resturant or order pizza for us. Quite often they would take us out to rent a movie for the night. I loved getting to choose my own movie. We would paint nails, go on bike rides, play games, cook, and just have fun together. I hope I can be a Grandma like that.
1. Finally, the thing that I will remember forever is Grandma's faith. She searched the scriptures and tried many different churches until a neighbor introduced her to the Mormon missionaries. She recognized the truthfulness of the restored gospel from all her studying and was the first one to join the church on the Harris side. I am so grateful for her faithfulness in the gospel and the truths she has taught me.
Grandpa & Grandma on their wedding day



5 comments:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandma. Thanks for sharing your memories of this beautiful and interesting woman. She left quite a legacy.
I, too, am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a wonderful Grandmother and I know you will be able to follow in her footsteps. How great that you have such amazing memories of your time together. And, it's incredible that you look exactly like her!!!
I love the pictures of her when she was younger. She is so beautiful and she sounds like she was also an lovely person.
That was a really neat post. When I read about her laugh, it made me laugh. :)
That is a very lovely tribute to your Grandmother Niki. I will always remember your last visit with her. You were so compassionate and full of grace as you took her hand and shared your love, memories and things she taught you. From her tears you could tell she was glad to hear her life mattered to you. That is a memory I will treasure.
Post a Comment