Monday, July 2, 2012

Inspiring

Adam and I drove to Duluth a few weeks ago to watch Larry, my father-in-law, run in Grandma's or as we like to call it Grandpa's Marathon.  (As Larry would tell people he was going to run his first marathon and it was called Grandma's Marathon he'd get funny comments like, "Oh, is that a marathon for old people?"  Nope.  This was a real marathon with young and old alike.)  Watching the marathon was truly inspiring and amazing to see so many people complete such a tough task.  I was blown away by watching the Kenyans sprinting by us at mile 24.5.  I wouldn't be able to keep up with them for 1/2 a mile even after they had run that far.  It was very inspiring to see the human body in such great shape.  But the real inspiring thing was to watch Larry run by us and look so strong.  He was amazing!  I ran with him for about 20 seconds and tried to encourage him to finish strong.  He was on pace to break the time he was hoping for of 3:55 and I knew if he could finish strong he'd get it.  I told him, "Keep on pace and you've got this.  You've got this!"  He knew he was close but seemed a little unsure.  He somehow found his last reserve of energy and finished with his second fastest split time, and qualified for the Boston Marathon at 34:54:37 with 23 seconds to spare!  Truly inspiring!

I have been trying to train for a half marathon in the fall but have been battling injuries and sickness.  If all goes well I'm hoping to run the Monster Dash 1/2 marathon on October 27th.  13.1 miles- because I'm only half crazy!  If any of you'd like to join me I'd love to run it with you... let me know.  


Adam and Marie holding up our signs

 Larry as he is running by us. 

 Larry finishing strong!
 Adam with Larry after the race.  Adam wore a bib that Stephen & Jonelle made- it had 355 on it- the finishing time he was hoping for.

 One of my favorite memories from the trip was watching Larry and Marie embrace after the race.  Both were so overcome with emotion and just held each other.  I tried to capture it on camera but it doesn't fully do it justice.  Aren't these two love birds cute?
 We got a number of laughs and comments on Adam's sign as runners would go by.  




4 comments:

Unknown said...

that is inspiring! and wow good luck to you as you train!

Natalie and Jeff said...

NIKI!! I soooo want to train with you from across the country!!! I have been wanting to do a half marathon for awhile now! I'm going to look up races close to October now!

Janis said...

That was awesome for you and Adam to go together and support Larry and Marie. I know they appreciated it. Congrats to Larry on that accomplishment!!

D said...

WHat a great post! I love the signs, too. Those Grays keep inspiring me! I'm so impressed with Larry and so proud of him. I can't believe he qualified for the Boston Marathon- wow!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...