Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bear Head Lake and Tower of Sudan

Just before Labor day we ventured out camping one last time for the summer. This time we chose Bear Head Lake as our destination. Michael camped here and visited the the iron mines as a kid and has great memories, so we packed up the car and made the 4 hour drive up north.













Ely, MN is pretty close to the Canadian border and it is beautiful. I had never been that far north in MN and we loved it. I think we are getting better at camping with the family. I have bins now dedicated to the cause so packing is much less stressful. The kids know what to expect (sleeping in a tent, making fires, etc.) so they know their place and begin to gather kindling for the fire when we arrive. This time around we stayed 4 days and 3 nights so we had more time to relax and didn't have to take down our tent the next day. There were not many bugs, the water was so clear you could watch the fish take your bait, and we had a great site at the campground. Both Adam and Anna got fishing poles for their birthdays this year and this was the perfect place to try them out. Mike fried up a Northern, a couple of Sunnies, and Blue Gills. Adam liked watching Mike clean them and even ate a few. Anna wasn't too interested in eating them but sure had fun catching them.




















































































We drove over to the Sudan Iron Range one day and took their underground mining tour. You get in an elevator shaft and go a 1/2 mile underground and see what it was like in the mines. I was pretty worried about how Camille would do (we all have to wear helmets and it's an hour and half tour). We gave her a bottle to help with her ears on the way down and then she fell asleep while we were moving on the cars. She slept the whole time until we were on the cars coming back!

If you ever get the chance to visit here it is well worth the trip. The temperature is always 52 degrees down even if it is 40 below outside. We brought sweatshirts but Anna got cold so I gave her mine. A nice lady on the tour offered her windbreaker she had over a sweatshirt so I didn't freeze down there. At one point in the tour they turned off the lights for a minute for you to feel what it was like for the miners if their lights went out. It sure is a weird feeling not to see your hand in front of your face.

In front of the mine.


















Adam in front of an old open mine.

















Here we are underground. Unfortunately, I didn't take to many pictures underground but it was very cool down there.














After our mine tour Adam and Mike went geo-caching again (a new favorite activity thanks to our friend Brian). They ended up hiking 3 miles to find it. I think it was some good guy bonding time. Here's Adam with a large mushroom they found while hiking.













Camille started a funny smile a few months ago. She wrinkles her nose while she smiles and it cracks me up every time. I was able to catch part of it here.


















3 Crazy Kids- what a wonderful life!

8 comments:

Lanna Palmer said...

Wow, looks like you guys had a great time! I havn't braved camping with the kids since Grant was little, maybe we need to venture out again next summer. I love Camille's smile, that's my favorite on my kids too!

Julie W said...

What a great vaca! You are so fun. And anna's cake is darling.

Sheralie said...

The pictures of the children fishing are really fantastic. Camping with children has grown on me too :) Wish we could join you.

Janis said...

Fun, Fun, Fun! You guys have some cool adventures.

steveandjonelle said...

Looks like fun! We went camping for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Carter is in love with the outdoors. Maybe we can all camp together next summer.

Jeff & Melissa said...

Looks like a wonderful trip. I'm so jealous you have the camping thing down...we're going to start soon and I look forward to the time when it's easy and everyone knows what to do!

Jessica 7 said...

Tower Sudan is so cool. I'm glad Camille fell asleep - who could stand wearing a helmet that big?

Elizabeth said...

What a fun trip. Reading your blog makes me feel guilty we've never been camping:) Glad you had a blast!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...